Doodle Adventures: The Search for the Slimy Space Slugs! - Mike Lowery

3.5 stars. I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I would have rated this higher, but sorry, this is a doodle your own adventure, and that just doesn’t work if it is an e-ARC. You can’t do anything to participate with the drawings. Using your imagination is fun, but it kind of sucks, I wanted to draw, but couldn’t. I think this book works best as a physical ARC, that way people can enjoy all the aspects of the book, and not just the story or the art.

Because the story was really fun, though I found the duck a bit too annoying and too all-knowing (a character trait I really hate in characters). But at times he was pretty decent, his narration was quite fun.
The adventure, the mission, the enemies? I really liked them and I was laughing, evil slugs? Slugs taking a bath? Slugs having a party?
I also loved the trip to the planet of the slugs, all the stuff that needed to be done before we could leave.

The art was really fitting for this book. It was sketchy/doodley and it just matched with the fact you have to drawn your own adventure (which I couldn’t :().There aren’t that many colours used (Blue/orange/white seem to be the main ones), but I did like that.

But yeah, it is just a shame I couldn’t participate in all the fun. Of course I used my imagination, but I would rather have seen my imagination drawn on the pages.

But all in all, this is a pretty good book, and I love the idea of it. I am sure this is the perfect book for kids who like to draw, but also for kids who might be reluctant readers. This will surely motivate them to read as they can create their own stories.

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/