The Day Santa Stopped Believing in Harold - Maureen Fergus, Cale Atkinson
I received this book from Netgalley/publisher in exchange of an honest review.

It isn’t Christmas by far (still 8 months to go), but when I saw this book on Netgalley I just wanted to have it so much. I love Christmas and while I never celebrated it for Santa (because I already did that during Sinterklaas), I know the feeling when you grow up and suddenly realize he might not be real. Well, that is what happens in this book, just the other way around. Santa is the one who has stopped believing. I just laughed because of the cover (the silliness!) and also because of the title (so creative and fun and interesting!).

Not in all children, oh no, but just in one little kid. Harold. Santa is all pouty and grumbly about it, he tries to talk to everyone about it, but no one is really helping (either they just think he is crazy for thinking this, or they agree with him). He has got all kind of silly ideas that are all easily disproved because kids do grow up, their parents first do Santa stuff for them, but later they do it themselves. But he won’t have anything of it.

But then we find out something else as well. About Harold this time! I won’t say what, but I did love that it was added, and it made me think, maybe if that happens is it also happening for Santa? Is Harold the first kid? Or have there been more kids like this? It is an interesting thing.

I also loved how it all ended, it made me really happy and gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. How delightful!

The illustrations are just gorgeous. Really gorgeous, lots of details, I love the style of drawing (it really made me feel super-Christmassy even though it is spring now, and I don’t even want to think of winter yet. The colours are warm and will make you warm inside as well.

All in all, this was a fantastical, magical, entertaining book and I would highly recommend it.

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com