I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I adore and love cheese, so when I spotted this book over on Netgalley I just had to try it out. A book about cheese, about making cheese, about recipes with cheese, what more could I want?

Sadly, it just wasn't that fun. I struggled a lot to get through this book. Tried it twice, before finally finishing it on September 22nd. I am not sure if it is me (headache/not feeling all too well), or if it is the book. It may just be a combo for both. I do know that I was quite bored. I kept looking over at the page numbers to see how far I was and how many more pages I would have to read.

The recipes were quite fun, but I had expected some normal cheeses as well. (Not feta or mozzarella, but instead a normal cheese, a hard one. How to make a big round cheese for example. I would have loved to see those.) There were also a lot of cheese-related recipes, and while it was fun, I had rather seen more how-to-make-cheeses.

I did like the facts and non-fiction parts about cheese, it was quite an interesting addition.

Plus like a few other ARC books I read that were cook books or craft books... it just misses things. Facts or parts not filled in. Missing connections to page numbers (Go to page 00 instead of the actual page number). I laughed quite a bit at the iStock photograph used in the chapter of Other Easy-Peasy (but not cheesy) things you make with milk. I do hope they don't forget to remove all that watermark, or else it will be hilarious.

And something I also noticed in other books, the way they think everything is easily findable. I am sorry, but I have never in my life seen cheese cloth being sold in the supermarkets. And a few other things I would have to go to a (specialist) cooking store to make sure I get all the stuff I would need to make cheese, if they have such things (I have been disappointed before). So yeah, it would be nice if there were some easier to find alternatives listed.

And I found an error in the Saying Cheese Around the World. In Dutch it is Kaas, not Kass. Hope that gets fixed in the published version. Would be a shame if kids learned the wrong words. :(

All in all, I had hoped for more, but sadly it just wasn't meant to be.

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/